It would be remiss of me to let the events of today go by without comment. Our Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, decent sort of a guy was voted in just over two years ago, inherited an economic crisis and managed to keep us out of recession, was today ousted by his deputy, Julia Gillard.
This in itself is not unusual. Liberal leader Malcolm Turnbull was ousted by the current Liberal opposition leader Tony Abbot in December. Party factions are always playing silly buggers and leadership challenges are commonplace but . . what pisses me off is why they're allowed to take place.
I mean I vote for a leader/party and expect them to do their damndest for 3 years until the next election. I think it only fair that a leader be given the opportunity to fulfil their promises, consolidate their party and have a good crack at running the country, Unless they turn out to be a total dipshit and incompetent or megalomaniac, let them run their course and the people decide whether they've cut the mustard. Is that too much to ask? Although were times when I'd have liked my boss to face a leadership challenge!
I'm really annoyed at factions running political parties when we the voters did not vote them into those places of power. Sure, change portfolios if you must (not a great fan of that either) and having worked in Government for many years, I know it's actually the public servants that run the country but give a man his dues. Let him make his mistakes, reap his rewards or pay the price at the next General Election.
I mean it takes an awesome event to impeach a President. You don't just have a party room meeting and decide that "Oh Obama's not delivering so we'll wack Hilary in there as President". Can you imagine?
I have only a small opinion about our Julia, I don't like that she's sidled up to Kev then ousted him but she's very labour, very left, very union, very much what I stand for. She's also a woman which can be a good thing. Although having said that I find that women in 'high' places soon begin to act like the worst of men.
The media tonight are treating this as if it was an election victory. It wasn't. It was a back-biting factional usurpation of a leader who has taken charge of a country during a global financial crisis and managed to keep it afloat (albeit thanks to a surplus left by the previous Government and an Opposition as weak as piss). Frankly, I don't think he's done that badly.
Anyway, Kev's on the back bench but still going to challenge at the next election. Julia is smiling a smile of victory and probably wondering when it's her turn to feel the cold blade of a million Brutus' in her back and the Australian public, expecting a Federal election in March are in a quandry.
This in itself is not unusual. Liberal leader Malcolm Turnbull was ousted by the current Liberal opposition leader Tony Abbot in December. Party factions are always playing silly buggers and leadership challenges are commonplace but . . what pisses me off is why they're allowed to take place.
I mean I vote for a leader/party and expect them to do their damndest for 3 years until the next election. I think it only fair that a leader be given the opportunity to fulfil their promises, consolidate their party and have a good crack at running the country, Unless they turn out to be a total dipshit and incompetent or megalomaniac, let them run their course and the people decide whether they've cut the mustard. Is that too much to ask? Although were times when I'd have liked my boss to face a leadership challenge!
I'm really annoyed at factions running political parties when we the voters did not vote them into those places of power. Sure, change portfolios if you must (not a great fan of that either) and having worked in Government for many years, I know it's actually the public servants that run the country but give a man his dues. Let him make his mistakes, reap his rewards or pay the price at the next General Election.
I mean it takes an awesome event to impeach a President. You don't just have a party room meeting and decide that "Oh Obama's not delivering so we'll wack Hilary in there as President". Can you imagine?
I have only a small opinion about our Julia, I don't like that she's sidled up to Kev then ousted him but she's very labour, very left, very union, very much what I stand for. She's also a woman which can be a good thing. Although having said that I find that women in 'high' places soon begin to act like the worst of men.
The media tonight are treating this as if it was an election victory. It wasn't. It was a back-biting factional usurpation of a leader who has taken charge of a country during a global financial crisis and managed to keep it afloat (albeit thanks to a surplus left by the previous Government and an Opposition as weak as piss). Frankly, I don't think he's done that badly.
Anyway, Kev's on the back bench but still going to challenge at the next election. Julia is smiling a smile of victory and probably wondering when it's her turn to feel the cold blade of a million Brutus' in her back and the Australian public, expecting a Federal election in March are in a quandry.
Gotta love the Westminster system and frankly, "Yes Minister" was so close to the bone it aint funny.
"Just sayin' " as the Yanks would articulate.
Julia is 'sworn' in - read into that what you like!
Now, if you're looking for Theme Thursday, shameless plug, take a look at Creative Infanticide and kill my baby.

No comments:
Post a Comment